Our CTO (Luke Cole) previously worked for Hemisphere GPS (orginally called BEELINE, and now bought out by AgJunction) as a "Robotics Engineer" implementing auto-guidance solutions for various quadbikes and agriculture tractors that was used by 100's of vehicles around the world.
For 10 years, starting as a teenager in 1998 - Luke Cole has also worked for leading research institutes and companies such as NICTA (now called CSIRO Data61), CSIRO, Seeing Machines and ANU Robotics System Lab (lead by Alex Zelinsky, who received a rare prestigious AO award in 2017 and was Defence Scientist of Australia from 2012 for 6 years). Luke's work included various autonomous mobile robot projects, involving computer vision, and even a self-driving car early 2000's. Back then OpenCV and ROS didn't exist, so we did a "roll-your-own" called VisLib and DROS comprised of 364,578 lines of code.
Lance Cole has also worked at NICTA and has a background of various hardware development, such as working for a contract company to the US millary (EOS), building the Common Remotely Operated Weapon Station (CROWS).
Balmoral is an inner suburb of Brisbane, Australia. It is 4 km east of the CBD. Balmoral is Gaelic for ‘beautiful residence’ or ‘majestic castle’.
To the aborigines Balmoral was part of the area they called ‘Tugulawa’, which meant ‘heart’- probably a reference to the heart shaped piece of land which constitutes Bulimba and Balmoral. Aborigines camped at the end of Apollo Road.
Mrs. Daniels recalled a large Aboriginal camp in the area now known as Hawthorne Park (History of the Bulimba Electorate 1959, p17).
Ollie Crouch, the son of George Crouch, who had settled in Bulimba in 1865, remembers: ‘there used to be a camp down Brisbane Street. One-eyed Jacky was the Chieftain’ (Turner-Jones, 1990, p.11). Corroborees were held at the site of Cairncross graving dock in Morningside.
Balmoral is Gaelic for ‘beautiful residence’ or ‘majestic castle’ and is the name of one of the Queen’s castles in Scotland. It has been said that it was John Watson, whose career varied from builder to State Member, who gave the area the name Balmoral, after the town of his birth in Scotland.
In 1888 the Bulimba Divisional Board was broken down into several bodies and the Balmoral Divisional Board was created. The first chairman of the area was Councilor Edward Griffith. In 1901 the Local Authorities Act changed this to the Balmoral Shire. Balmoral remained as the name of the shire, but not a suburb, until 1927, when trams came to Bulimba. An unknown official objected to the fact that trams going in both directions along Queen Street should both display the destination ‘Bulimba’ (although one was really going to the Bulimba Ferry), and the destination name was changed to Balmoral. In the 1920s there were proposals to amalgamate the areas of Bulimba, Balmoral and Morningside, under the name Balmoral, but nothing came of it.
The pioneers came to Balmoral for farming. Small crops, cotton and bananas were grown, and later sugar was cultivated. Until the construction of the bridge over Norman Creek in 1856, the only way to get to Balmoral was by ferry across the river, or by travelling from Kangaroo Point to Stone’s Corner where it was possible to cross Norman Creek, and then to go along Bennetts Road to the cemetery and out to Balmoral. This trip could take a whole day and this isolation slowed development in the area.
Balmoral is a small village in the Southern Highlands area of New South Wales, Australia. It was formerly on the alignment of the Main South Railway Line until 1919, but has since been overtaken by a new alignment. The village used to be known as Balmoral Village.
The town is now served on weekdays by the Picton Loop Bus Line that runs to the towns served by the old Main South railway alignment, between Mittagong and Picton. There are six services a day on this route.